Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Those darn Brits

So, Matthew's sleeping -- or lack thereof -- has had me frazzled recently. There are two things that I require plenty of and on a predictable basis if I am to stay cheery: food and sleep. Matthew seems determined to deprive me of as much of the latter as possible. If you've never dealt with an insomniac baby like Matthew, let me fill you in on a little secret. There are TONS of books, methods, aids and experts. Many of which I've tried. Sadly, when you are operating on no sleep it is amazingly difficult to choose and implement any type of plan. Ferber? Weissbluth? Pantley's No-Cry Sleep Solution? *sigh*

So, what does all of this have to do with the British, you ask? Well, I've had my eye on the Amby Sleep Hammock -- a fancy pants hammock that gets a thumbs up for soothing restless babies to sleep. Unfortunately, the fancy pants hammock also comes with a fancy pants price tag of $300. Yes, that's right. $300 for a baby bed. Today, my spirits were lifted when I thought I had located a hammock for a mere $150. Whoa -- half price! Still ridiculously expensive but what a deal! Then, through my bleary eyes, I saw that the dollar sign looked a little wonky. A closer inspection and . . . you guessed it. It was a British site and the price was 150 pounds. Which converts to roughly . . . $300.

Note to Aunt Beth: Do you think that a post about sleep deprivation along with all the poop posts will be enough to dissuade Kendall from having four kids? This is quite a tall order, being encouraging enough for 1-2 kids but not soooo encouraging as to result in 4!

9 comments:

Aunt Beth said...

Well Sharon, I also like my food and sleep and can get ugly if those needs aren't met. Just ask Uncle Steve. If I start to get crabby he beelines to the closest fast food he can find for his own piece of mind. I am going to donate $100 towards the Amby Sleep Hammock because I think Nanny 911 would be even more expensive.The checks in the mail.

Sharon said...

Oh no, no! No donations! I wasn't attempting to solicit!

Anonymous said...

Try some aromatherapy if Matthew has trouble falling asleep or staying asleep. The scent of French lavender and chamomile is great for getting babies and adults to relax and fall asleep. There are even some gentle soaps that have these aromas in them and it's much cheaper than that bloody British hammock (said in the british accent of Queen Elizabeth)

Sharon said...

To my disappointment, it appears that Matthew skipped the day of baby training that covered sleep. Each night, he gets a warm bath with "Calming Bubblebath" which does indeed contain French lavender and chamomile. Next comes the lotion, the dim-lighted room, the soothing lullaby, the soft sheets and the wool and flannel cuddle doll. And . . . he's awake. *pounding head on keyboard*

Aunt Beth said...

I know you were not soliciting. I am just trying to help you get some sleep.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Matthew needs a different sleeping schedule so he's tired at night. If that doesn't work put a little Polish vodka in his bottle. The guy I work with drinks that before he goes to bed and he manages to wake up at 4 p.m. the next day

hahaha.....just kidding about the vodka....hope you get some some sweet dreamzzzzz soon.

Midnight Thoughts said...

sorry about the typo wanting 4 kids...I meant 6 hee hee.
PS I want to see pics of this hammock if you get one.

Christine said...

I always advise lots and lots of wine to the parents of babies who don't sleep. If nothing else, it will be fun for you!! haha.

Sharon said...

Wow . . vodka and now wine! Funny, alcohol was never a sleep remedy suggested in any of the parenting books. Experts, schmexperts!