Tuesday, January 8, 2008

For my cousin Kendall

In a comment on my post "To poop or not to poop, that is the question," my cousin Kendall indicated that my diaper-related blogging may have disturbed her to the extent that she questions whether having children is wise. I think I would be in deep trouble with my aunt and my grandma if they were denied grandchildren because of this blog. Thus, I felt I should rhapsodize about the endless pleasure that small babies bring.
  • A baby is amazed by the whole world and will gaze in open-mouthed wonder at their own hand. If a grown-up did this, we would wonder if they had recently smoked something illegal or perhaps sustained some type of head injury.
  • Who but a baby would look so happily surprised to see you when their head emerges from a t-shirt? Or when you walk out of a room and then back in a minute later? Now, Kendall, James seems like a great guy, but try this some time: Go in the room James is in. Walk out. Walk back in. Does James' face break into a huge grin? Does he gasp adoringly, "THERE you are! I missed you!" I didn't think so.
  • Babies will let you dress them in the sweetest clothing. I mean, really, Kendall -- would James allow you to put him in a little sailor cap? Or rainbow leg warmers? A baby will.
  • When a baby is happy, he will absolutely squeal with delight. And it doesn't matter WHERE you are! AND, no matter where you are, people will smile at a squealing baby.
  • If you feel like talking about your day in interminable detail, a baby will let you go right ahead. They may even sympathize (although not necessarily at the appropriate points) by saying, "Ahhhhhh. Goo-ahh." This is more than I can say for David, who often gets a glazed look in his eyes or falls asleep when I am talking about my day.
  • When a baby sleeps in your arms, he is so soft and warm and cuddly! He does not weigh more than you. He did not forget to shave that morning. He does not need deoderant.

Kendall, there are many, many more great things about babies, but I have to run now. Matthew just pooped.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being a professor, I've come to realize that babies and college students seem to have a lot in common. They each have that same gazed in wonder look on their faces; they can tend to get rather whiny; some even take naps throughout the day; dormitory food resembles the mushy, soft texture of baby food; and they either make you laugh or question "Why am I doing this?"

Midnight Thoughts said...

OK OK OK already, I want 4 kids. I'm not sorry I read your blog about cleaning pee out of babies ears, or pooping and all that "goog stuff"!!
*BTW* I asked James if he would try on my rainbow tights and he didn't even laugh :( I guess that's a no then?

Sharon said...

Well, then, my work here is done!

Oh, and tell James that I think he'd look just darling in those tights!

Sharon said...

Theresa,

There do seem to be some striking similarities. I think I'll stick with babies, though. I'll deal with the college kids in, oh, 14-15 years!

Sharon

Aunt Beth said...

Sharon, Don't get Kendall to excited. I'm thinking 1 or 2 grandchildren would be nice someday after marriage. Kendall forget 4. You have no idea !!!!!

Christine said...

Theresa, being both a parent and former college instructor, I agree!!

Sharon, you may as well tell Kendall to stop reading the blog, because anyone can read about the realities of parenting (ie, poop, and lots of it!) but how can one possible know the "absolutely wonderful, head-over-heals intoxication" with your baby, unless they have felt it themselves? (although perhaps it is a challenge for your writing skills?) :)
Great post!