Monday, January 28, 2008

My sweet little mischief maker

From the time I woke up, I knew that David was going to be working late and I needed a game plan. If you are going to be on your own with two small boys from dawn until dark, you've got to find a way to make the hours pass with as little drama as possible! Cameron practiced writing him name, signed a few Valentine cards, built with blocks and of course went to school.

After school, I felt like a model parent as we worked on a project. You see, I recently decided that I needed to teach Cameron more about caring for others and I came across the Make a Child Smile website. Together, we chose to make Aidan smile by making him a card. Cameron was so sweet as he colored a picture of a Power Ranger, glued it on construction paper and painstakingly wrote his name and Aidan's. Then, he dictated a note to Aidan, insisting that it was only right that we invite Aidan to our house! Yep, I thought, patting myself on the back. I've got this mama thing TOTALLY under control. I am successfully teaching my child to be a kind, caring individual. Go me!

With Aidan's card addressed and stamped, I made some dinner and then Cameron and I whipped up a batch of pudding. I snapped some photos of my boys together, then sat Cameron at the table with his pudding. I explained that I would be putting Matthew to bed and needed him to be a big boy. He was to eat his snack and play quietly until I was done with Matthew. Giving my ego yet another boost, Cameron behaved liked an angel until I was finished with Matthew's bed time routine. Wow, I congratulated myself. Look at that. I can handle two kids at bedtime like a regular pro now! Super Nanny, watch out! Then, I saw this.
How many little boys were eating a bed time snack? One. How many empty bowls of pudding on the table? Two. Hmmm. When confronted with the evidence, Cameron looked sheepish and said, "Wellllll, I really wanted it. AND, I didn't think you'd KNOW!" *sigh* I guess I have to face the awful truth. I'm not a perfect parent . . . but how boring would the blog be if I was?

4 comments:

Grandma Linda said...

I'll bet the pudding was delicious. I probably would have eaten two bowls myself.

Zack said...

That "Make a Child Smile" seems really cool. You got the Momma thing down cold!

Sharon said...

Aww, shucks . . . thanks Zack!

Christine said...

Oh, you are an awesome parent alright, Cameron is just a boy! Get used to it, there's another one right behind him, looking ready to eat two bowls of pudding too! :)