Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Chapter One: Fun with Toys

Having finished listening to Roald Dahl's "Matilda" on CD, Cameron and I have moved on to "Little House on the Prairie" as I attempt to expose Cameron to all my childhood favorites. Cameron is fascinated, frequently asking me to pause the CD so he can ask questions such as "Why does Pa have a gun?" and "Why does Laura's dress have buttons on the back instead of the front?" I often find myself struggling with the answers! Something I've noticed in listening to the books is that the chapters have rather obvious titles such as "Indians in the House," in which (you guessed it!) Indians come to the house. Today, I realized that Cameron has also recognized that the name of the chapter foreshadows the events to come.

This brings me to one of Cameron's favorite activities right now -- imaginary play using the play silks he received from the Easter Bunny. Today, we tied a red play silk into "wings" on his back and pretended we were cardinals. "Tweet, tweet!" chirped Cameron. "Chapter One: Building a Nest." After flitting around the living room to build his nest, he paused and intoned, "Chapter Two: A Birdhouse." Both the imaginary play and the naming of chapters continued for quite some time!

When the cardinal game was on its last feather, the red wings were transformed into a finish line for Cameron's OTHER favorite toys -- Automoblox! Cameron received an Automoblox minivan and a Mini-Automoblox sedan from Great G&G for Easter. He is entranced with them and spent several days carrying the Automoblox brochure with him everywhere, perusing at his leisure and pointing out to me which Automoblox he has his eye on! We had a rousing Automoblox race in the hallway, which was won by the minivan. If only my minivan could move like that!
And, in more play silk fun, here are Cameron and a buddy in a nail-biting superhero drama!

1 comment:

Grandma Linda said...

The last photo reminds me of Zack's great wrestling matches in our basement.