Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Repent, Sinners

We go to the library a lot. It's less than a mile away so, unless it's snowing or sweltering, we walk. A few days ago, Cameron could hardly wait to walk to the library because he had completed level four -- FOUR! -- of the summer reading contest. And at level four, you get to choose your OWN book.

At the library, Cameron quickly chose his book and then, to my surprise, the librarian said, "And, at level four, you get THIS!" And produced from behind the counter a huge lawn sign reading "A LIBRARY SUPERSTAR LIVES HERE." Cameron beamed, while I looked with dismay at the gigantic sign with its menacing metal prongs.

"I'll carry it!" said Cameron cheerfully. And so, we walked down the sidewalk on a well-traveled street, me pushing Matthew in the stroller and Cameron marching along side holding his sign in the air. At best, he looked like he might be advertising "OIL CHANGE, NO WAIT." But I fear that the passing drivers more likely thought I was some crazy mom forcing her child to carry a sign warning something like "IF YOU GIVE SATAN AN INCH, HE WILL BECOME A RULER." (*wink* to Monday night writers here)

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Aww.... he looks so proud. that is so awesome..

I am still cracking up at your title and post..love it!

kimbill16 said...

Loved the Monday night shout out! We finished level four as well, and they forgot to give us our signs! I think the teen volunteers were a little overwhelmed by the insane story time turnout. We will be requesting our signs next week, for sure.

Anonymous said...

Um, wouldn't a button have sufficed? A magnet for the fridge? I don't mean to be sour, but isn't it a bit presumptive of the library to think you'd be okay with that sign on your lawn? I know I know, not a big deal...Well, congrats to Cameron!

Sharon said...

Thanks Michelle!

Kim, so glad a Monday nighter was reading to appreciate the reference :)

Debbie, why don't you just come out and say it. You're jealous! I know, I know, EVERYONE dreams of having a lawn sign like this one . . . maybe the NYC library has a similar program?