Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Are you in Ohio?

If you know me at all, you know I love to read. And if you read this blog at all, you probably know how much my family loves the library. Every single day we benefit from the library -- we read books from the library, we listen to books on CD from the library, we watch movies from the library, we participate in the library's Summer Reading program and we attend library story time. So I was disheartened to learn that Ohio's governor, Ted Strickland, is proposed a 50% cut in library funding. This would result in the loss of hundreds of jobs and the closing of many library branches. In addition to what this would mean to my family, I'm concerned about what this means for the many families who have no other access to books, computer access and summer educational programs. I've written to the governor and the state legislators of Ohio expressing my support for our libraries. If you live in Ohio, you can, too!

Click here to read more and to find sample letters.

2 comments:

Grandma Linda said...

Good luck! I have been to your library several times and it is always packed with people. Obviously, this is an important service to our community.

Dave and Jeanne said...

And we wonder why other nations produce so many scientists, etc.