Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Always Ruining the Ending

Tops among "things I want to teach my kids" has always been a love of reading. I've loved to read since I learned how and just can't imagine anything more satisfying than a good book. Except perhaps a good book read, uninterrupted by small children, and perhaps accompanied by a glass of Gewurtztraminer. But I digress.

I've read to both of the boys daily since they were newborns and now that Cameron has learned to read it has opened up a whole new chapter (ha!) in our reading adventures. We've also discovered the delight of a book on CD, listening to the Harry Potter series, the Little House on the Prairie series, many a Roald Dahl book and most recently Nancy Drew. As we've listened to nail-biters such as "The Secret of the Old Clock" and "The Hidden Staircase," I've realized that Cameron is a bit more perceptive than I was at his age. Several times, when Nancy has found herself in a pickle, as she is wont to do, I've expressed concern for her well-being. "How many more CDs are left?" Cameron will ask.

I check the case and answer, "Two" or "One" or whatever.

"More CDs, still lives," announces Cameron seriously. And he's been right every time.

Once, when I answered, "This is the last CD," he responded, "Well, are there any more Nancy Drew stories at the library."

"Yes," I said.

"Well then, more books, still lives," he answered with a shrug.

2 comments:

Neelu said...

I am amazed at Cameronn's perceptiveness and intelligence. I love the way he said "more books, still lives". That is so cute :)

I am pretty sure I was a really dumb kid when I was his age. I am glad my mom did not blog about me then ;)

Anonymous said...

Neelu - Your post made me laugh out loud! You are hilarious!