Friday, September 7, 2007

A confession and an idea

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours observing Cameron at school through the top secret one-way mirror. There were several other parents doing the same and I began to think, "How strange! I can see EVERYTHING Cameron is doing and he doesn't even know it!"

So, here is where I must make an embarassing confession. I watch Big Brother. Loyally. I know, I know, it is a mind-numbing reality TV show and there are better things to do with my time. But honestly, I look forward to it each summer! Sad, I know.

So, for those who don't share my penchant for voyeurism, a brief summary of Big Brother: Each summer, a group of strangers live in a house (aka a set on the CBS lot). They do not leave the house or have any contact with the outside. Their every move is recorded. Each week, they participate in a variety of competitions including Head of Household ("HOH"). The HOH nominates two "houseguests" for eviction, and the house votes on who will leave the house. The last houseguest remaining wins big money. Of course, the highlight of the show is watching the conflicts, the alliances, the betrayals, the show-mances.

So, back to watching Cameron. I thought, "This is almost like Big Brother." And that's when it hit me. Each summer, Big Brother warns us to "Expect the Unexpected." This has including such plot twists as 1) Several houseguests arrive only to learn that they are in the house with their ex, 2) Two houseguests don't know it, but they are siblings (really) and 3) Several houseguests find that their "worst enemy" is also in the house. So, CBS, listen up. How about next season you have the plot twist be "Big Brother 9: Preschool Edition!" Think of all the things you could do with this! Instead of the food competition, the kids could have a "Snack Competition." Winners get ice cream, losers get brussel sprouts. Maybe a few kids could arrive to find they are in the house with their playgroup rival. The Head of Household competition could be renamed, "I Can Do It All By Myself." The Power of Veto competition? How about, "You're Not the Boss of Me" competition? Now, of course, we can't leave 3- and 4-year-olds unsupervised each summer, so parents could be onsite, watching through a one-way mirror! The idea still needs some tweaking, of course, but I'm sure CBS can get a real crackerjack team on this and have it in working order by next summer!

How do I have the time for such musings, you ask? Well, David is off work today and is out with Cameron at the moment. So, it's just me and Matthew (recently nicknamed "Sir Toots Alot"). And I'm finding, "Wow. Just one kid? This is SO easy!"

1 comment:

Grandma Linda said...

Your idea has some merit & I'm sure CBS will be sending you royalties by next summer.

I don't think Matthew will be very amused by his nickname later on, even if he smiles when you call him that now.