Saturday, February 6, 2010

9 x 9 is 81


I remember learning my times tables in second grade.  Mrs. Seivert handed out a mimeographed page with 1-10 in a row across the top and an identical column down the side, and what appeared to be random numbers in a chart below.  Then, I memorized the table.  Mission accomplished. 

Yesterday, I volunteered in Cameron's Montessori kindergarten class.  He was anxious to show me how he is learning multiplication and we he did show me, I understood why.  It's fun.  And you actually get to see how multiplication works. 

He was working on his 8 times tables.  For each number, there is a bar of beads -- the brown bars each have eight beads on them.  So to figure out 8 x 9, Cameron would lay out nine brown bars and count the beads.  But here's the amazing part.  After he figured out that 8 x 9 is 72, he would then select 7 of the ten bars and 1 two bar to represent the answer.  Genius!

By the way, the nine times tables were always my favorite because the answer sums to nine.  9 x 2 is 18,  1 + 8 is 9.  9 x 3 is 27, 2 + 7 is 9, and so on.  I thought everyone loved this about the nine times tables, but then David told me he had never known that about them.  So, I figured I'd share the nine times table love for anyone else out there unfortunate enough not to know that trick.

3 comments:

Grandma Linda said...

Grandpa Miller taught me that trick. Some things never get old.

Anonymous said...

The nines trick is an extension of the general rule for the 3s times table - anything divisible by 3 will have the digits add up to 3, 6, or 9.

Anonymous said...

Interestingly, this is an artifact of our base 10 system. If we used, say, a base 5 system, it wouldn't work. However, the same trick would work for 4s. The 4 times table in base 5 runs:

4
13
22
31
40

and so on.

Or in the base 6 system, the 5s times table runs:

5
14
23
32
41
50

and on and on again.