Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Cryptic Discussion about Adoption

Today, Cameron decided that he and Matthew would be puppies and I would be a little girl who wanted a puppy. He turned over some laundry basket (Empty! Because I am caught up on laundry! I am awed by myself.) to use as puppy cages/beds/play areas. "Woof, woof," he said.

Matthew quickly got in on the act. "Woof, woof," he cried in a much higher pitch.

"Oooooh, look at these cute puppies!" I played along. "I want to bring a puppy home with me! I want a puppy that is cuddly." Cameron quickly crawled across the room to snuggle up to me. Matthew followed.

"And I want a puppy that is playful!" Cameron scampered around the room, woofing and crawling in a laundry basket. Matthew, apparently a dog who knows a few tricks, stood up and ran around the room on two legs. Former circus dog perhaps?

"Oh, this little puppy is so sweet! I love his shiny yellow fur," I said, patting Cameron on the head. "But this little puppy is very cute, too. I love his curly black fur," I continued, giving Matthew a pat on the head. "I don't know which puppy to bring home!"

Cameron crawled over to Matthew, hugged him, and whined. "What is this puppy's name?" I wondered.

"Albert. Woof, woof," said Cameron.

"And what is this puppy's name?"

"Way-chee-yo!" squealed Matthew.

"Well, Albert and Waycheeyo seem to love each other very much. They must be good friends."

"Woof, woof," said Cameron. "Brothers!"

Now, occasionally I will attempt to elicit from Cameron what it is like for him to have a brother that is not immediately identifiable as his brother. Cameron hears all of the comments we hear, and gets plenty of questions from curious preschoolers when Matthew and I come to school. But my attempts at discussion are usually fruitless, so I have found imaginary play to be useful.

"Brothers! But you can't be brothers! You don't look anything alike!" I protested.

Cameron put a paw around Matthew's shoulder, pointed at Matthew and then himself and replied, "Woof, woof! Brothers! Adopted!"

Well, I was sold. Both puppies came home with me, although Albert subsequently received a time-out for whining for his dinner and Waycheeyo had an accident on the floor. I think we're headed for puppy boot camp.

1 comment:

Grandma Linda said...

Playtime is a great way to introduce or discuss serious topics. Any psychologist reading this would be proud of you!