Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lament of the Stay At Home Parent, Part 2

The boys and I often play in our front room, which features a very large window that looks out onto our street. Many times, when David comes home from work, we will spot him from the window. Matthew screams in excitement, jumps up and down, waves and yells, "Daddy, Daddy!" and then makes a mad dash for the front door. Even if David has only been gone an hour or two, Matthew acts as though he's going to collapse with joy.

Today, I went out to a cafe to spend a few hours writing without interruption. As I pulled into the driveway, I saw Matthew and David in the window. David pointed at me and I eagerly awaiting Matthew's response. Nothing. I opened the car door, began to walk up the front walk and waved at Matthew. He stared, motionless. When I walked in the front door, I said, "Well, that was quite a greeting."

David said, "I know! I said to Matthew, 'Look, it's Mommy!' and he answered, 'I know.'"

I guess when you spend all day every day with me, you just don't get all worked up to see me.

No comments: