Friday, May 9, 2008

I'm a priceless gift

Update: NBC just updated their website. The category is now Adopting Moms. Evidently I was not the only one insulted! Now, "Adopting Moms" is a step up from "Non-Moms" I suppose but I'm still irked. Why are adoptive moms in a separate category at all? I would think that an adoptive mother could fit into any of the other AFM categories -- a working mom who has adopted, a single mom who has adopted, a military mom who has adopted. But, apparently, which uterus a baby grew in is THE most defining factor. *grr*

So, apparently I am Cameron's mom and Matthew's non-mom mom. Says who? NBC, Redbook, Kraft, Teleflora and myspace -- the sponsors of "America's Favorite Mom." "AFM" will be airing on Mother's Day when they will crown the winner of the contest. Right now, you can vote for semi-finalists who are featured on the Web site. The semi-finalists are divided into categories including "The Non-Mom mom" who is described as "grandparent, stepmom, or mom to adopted children, each one raising and loving a child. A priceless gift for everybody." How sweet, that even though I'm a "non-mom" I am still a "priceless gift." Well, this non-mom has better things to do on Mother's Day than watch "AFM." Like, maybe write a letter . . .

Contact information:
AFM TV LLC
11444 W. Olympic Blvd.
10th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90064
Fax: 310-966-5758

or make some phone calls and send a few e-mails. . .

America’s Favorite Mom 1-800-225-7435
info@americasfavoritemom.com

Email for Donny and Marie Osmond
Kesti@marieosmond.com
email4donny@donny.com

Teleflora 1-800-835-3356
(310) 231-9199 (main corporate headquarters)

Redbook 1-800-888-0008

Kraft Foods 800-323-0768

5 comments:

Grandma Linda said...

They must have gotten a barrage of angry messages!

Here is the message on there web-site:

Teleflora is immediately changing the name of our "Non-Mom" category to "Adopting Moms". After closer examination, we can see how this may have been offensive to moms who have adopted children -- moms who are indeed real moms to their children in every sense of the word. In fact, many of us at Teleflora are “adopting” parents ourselves, including our president and owner. The essence of this category still focuses on a grandparent, neighbor, step mom, or mom to adopted or foster children, each one raising and loving a child.

Ninette said...

Oh my goodness! I am so happy that I am not the only one feeling that way. I don't even have children and I think it is ridiculous that they are separating mothers. You are Matthew's mom just as much as Cameron's! How dare they!!!

Ninette said...

OK, so I just left a comment. But I have to tell you that I just went to E Online website. Yes, that is my NEWS somedays. Anyway, there is a whole big article about how rude the "Non-Mom" category was.

KJ said...

That is horrific!! ((((Sharon))))

Sharon said...

Thanks for the support! I love how the Teleflora web site says that can see how this "may" have been offensive.

Thanks for the info on the E! Online article, Ninette!