Monday, May 26, 2008

He's got the beat!

We've been enjoying the long weekend by attending every musical event we can find. We began yesterday with a performance by a children's choir visiting the US from Africa. They sang and performed traditional dance, which was fabulous.

It was a hot day and you could see the sweat glinting on their foreheads as they danced. Taking shelter in the shade, I was amazed that these kids had the energy to be out in the blazing sun drumming and shouting! The crowd, whether due to heat or bad manners, was disappointingly unenthusiastic. No one dancing, no one clapping along, no standing ovations. Well, I guess I shouldn't say "no one." Matthew was gettin' down to the beat! In the evening, we went to see a military stage band perform. Seated next to another family, I was left thanking my lucky stars that we will never have a 14-year-old girl! I don't know that teenage boys are necessarily much more pleasant, but, wow, can a teenage girl put a damper on your evening! This particular girl was sulking, apparently because her mother had not specified to her that the military band would not be a bunch of hot guys in camo playing rock music. It's so hard to be fourteen!


2 comments:

Ninette said...

My mom and I saw the African Children's Choir at the DSO in April. They were amazing! The crowd was so in to it and they had us all sing and clap and dance for the last song.

Is it the group that started in Uganda? That is who we saw.

Sharon said...

Yes, it was the group from Uganda!