Friday, November 16, 2007

She's a cutie pie!

Matthew has fantastic hair -- long, soft, curly, wild, beautiful hair. Such pretty hair that I am frequently told how cute "she" is! Now, as anyone with lots of hair will tell you, there is such a thing as a bad hair day. This picture of Matthew had my mother and me in hysterics. (Note to the future teenage Matthew: I am sorry for sharing such an embarassing photo with the masses. But, seriously, it was just too funny not to share! Please forgive me.)
Today Matthew and I made a quick trip to the mall. I figured it'd take 10 minutes to run in and out. Instead, I stopped every few feet to say, "Yes, thanks, but he's a boy!" The cashier was particularly taken with Matthew. After admiring him for quite some time she ventured a guess: "Is he adopted?" When I said yes, she quite sincerely told me how she has always wanted to adopt. She asked me a few questions about the process and I was thinking what a nice conversation this was when she said, still quite seriously, "Yes, I figure I'll have 10 kids of my own and then adopt 10. And then we'll move to Kenya and live like one big tribe." Uhhh-huhhh. I smiled, wished her the best and headed off with my purchases thinking, "First off, best wishes to your poor uterus should you succeed in this plan. Second, let's check back in after, say, kid number 2 and see if you'd still like another 18! And third, I wonder what airfare would be like to move yourself and your 20 children to Kenya!" And since it is National Adoption Awareness Month, let's just throw in this little bit of education on positive adoption language: Adopted or not, Matthew is "my own" kid! And he's also my "real" kid. What he is not is my biological kid! stepping off soapbox and heading to bed . . .

2 comments:

Aunt Beth said...

With those big eyes he looks like he wants to tell the cashier "Hey I'm a Boy, Do you see any Pink?"

Grandma Linda said...

Hmmm. 20 kids does seem a bit much.

I have a few photos of Matthew with the "finger in light socket" look. They are sooooo funny.