Thursday, May 7, 2009

Me and My Big Mouth

Seems like a common story in the parenting world is this: "I (or my husband) try really hard to watch my mouth, but swearing is a bad habit of mine. The other day my toddler said (four-letter word here)." This has never been a concern of mine. I don't swear. Never have. I don't know why, I just don't. David doesn't swear either, so if my kids start using four-letter words, the preschool teacher is gonna hear from us!

I have, however, noticed that Matthew is picking up some new expressions from me. At tumbling last weekend he shouted, "Oh my gosh! Look at me!" In a moment of frustration this week he sighed, "Good gracious." Then, this morning, Matthew was playing with a his toy truck. He managed to get it to drive over an overturned Bilibo and triumphantly screamed, "Yowzers!"

It's eye-opening and kind of embarassing. Do I really talk like a 50's sitcom wife? Or a cartoon detective who pals around with a talking dog? What next? Is Matthew doomed to be teased in grade school because he says "Jeepers," "Zoinks" or "Jinkies?" Good golly, Miss Molly, I've got to stop using these old fashioned phrases!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Well, it might be a little embarrassing, but it's better than the alternative, right?

Anonymous said...

Sounds adorable! And don't worry, by the time he's old enough for the kids to tease him about it, he'll have already figured it out...I trust the little dude...Matthew is destined to be cool.