Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Parenting and Sarcasm Don't Mix

Last night, I was on my own with the boys and, once again, feeling under the weather with a bad cold. Things were not going well. It was past everyone's bedtime, Cameron still hadn't brushed his teeth and Matthew was screaming bloody murder in his crib. Frustrated, I plopped into a chair and said sarcastically, "That's it. I'm going to bed. Cameron, you're in charge." To my surprise, Cameron immediately began to sob and cling to me. "Cameron, what's wrong?" I asked over and over.

When he had finally calmed down he said, "Oh, mama, I was so scared! I thought you were going to make me take care of Matthew all by myself. And I don't know HOW!"

2 comments:

Grandma Linda said...

Parenting is exhausting. I'm glad Cameron didn't have to take care of Matthew on his own. I'll bet he brushed his teeth more promptly the next night!

Anonymous said...

Awww....poor guy! But that is totally something I would've said (luckily, my kids are starting to get my dry sense of humor.)