Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I Give Up

Apologies to my loyal fans for the lack of posts lately. We've all been sick and I just haven't been up to my usual witty banter. But, I'm back!

So, every year I have made Cameron a Halloween costume. It's not that I am particularly crafty but it just seems so maternal to make the costumes rather than buy some overpriced plastic robe and mask. Here I am, three weeks postpartum, with Cameron as a cow. Year two I made this really cute baby chick costume.
Year three, a monkey -- not my best work, many thought he was as teddy bear.
Year four, another let-down: Supposed to be a kitty, believed by most to be a bunny.
Last year, Buzz Lightyear and Matthew as a three-eyed alien.
So this year, Cameron requested a Jokey Smurf costume. I've spent hours searching the web, finally locating a medium blue, long-sleeved, turtleneck leotard with matching gloves, white sweatpants and a plan to make a Smurf hat from a pillowcase. Matthew would be Azrael, Gargamel's kitty. This morning, Cameron brought me an add from Halloween Express and showed me the "really cool Star Wars clone guy."

"But I was going to make you the Jokey Smurf costume, remember?"

"I know. But this is WAY cooler."

"But I bet tons of kids will have this costume. If I make you a Jokey Smurf costume, no one else will be Jokey Smurf!"

"Wellll, maybe next year, Mommy. Because this year? I reeeaallllyyy want you to buy me the Star Wars costume instead."

So, I'm wondering why I'm going to kill myself making a Jokey Smurf costume when Cameron wants a $20 costume I can buy. And I've decided . . . I give up. I'm buying the costume.

5 comments:

Marie said...

Hi Sharon,

Quite a dilemma! Of course you have to know your limits, and all that. Just wondering what happens if you buy him this one, and in another week he sees another cool costume he'd like even better?

Something similar happened with my Godson and we all wished in hind-sight that we'd held the line from the beginning. Sorry to be so Jiminy Cricket about it...but.

Good luck!

Christine said...

Good decision! You can still make Matthew's if you want to. I also know a good yoda costume. ;)

To respond to Marie, I heard of a family that makes their kids decide--for sure--in early Sept so there is time for either 1) costume acquisition or 2) costume preparation. I haven't had to invoke a similar rule because Alex gets SOOO set on one thing or another (this year: Harry Potter) but it is still a good idea.

Sharon said...

Christine -- so funny because back in May, Cameron was set on being Harry Potter. And he wanted Daddy to be Snape! Then it was on to Star Wars. He would be Darth Vader, I would be Princess Leia, Matthew would be R2D2. Then, Jokey Smurf which held for quite some time. I've told him once I start making a costume or buy one, there is no going back.
Marie -- I'll make Matthew's costume until he decides it isn't cool enough. Cameron will have to deal with the costume he chooses!

Zack said...

Hey Sharon, Just tell Cameron he's gonna be Ghandi and Steph can be your consultant.

Sharon said...

Hey, the Ghandi costume was nothing to scoff at. I believe that Stephanie won first place in the McDonald's costume contest for Ghandi. My Minnie Pearl costume came in second. BUT, the year before I won first for my Zilwaukee bridge engineer costume with Steph in second at Benjamin Franklin. Zack, how'd you get away with just being tigers and pumpkins?