Saturday, June 28, 2008

Feeling the IKEA love

We've been resisting a visit to the new IKEA store for months, as we knew it would be a madhouse. Today, a rainy, humid Saturday, seemed like the perfect time to brave the crowds, though. We also felt it was necessary to dispel a myth that Cameron somehow believed -- that IKEA had an indoor swimming pool. It took quite an effort to convince Cameron that he didn't need to wear his swim suit to IKEA.

We arrived only to have the realization that we were all hungry for lunch. Me + hungry = grumpy, so we headed to the restaurant. David ordered the Swedish meatballs, I picked out a plate of gravad lax, and Cameron went for the less exotic chicken fingers and fries. It was then I realized that I had made a grave error. (Cue dramatic music.) I had not brought any baby food. When what should I spot next on the cafeteria line but jars of baby food. Is that brilliant or what? Wouldn't it be awesome if every place were so baby-friendly? And it just got better -- as we looked for a table, Cameron spotted a kids' area with brightly colored chairs and wall-mounted activities. Nearby, a station was set up with bibs and bottle warmers. WOW!

Forget shopping, I may be heading to IKEA with the kids for lunch time!

3 comments:

Aunt Beth said...

I love Ikea !! Before they had them in Michigan I used to drive to Chicago and spend hours in the store and spend the night for a relaxing day out.

Grandma Linda said...

What is gravad lax?????

Sharon said...

Gravad lax is a Scandanavian dish of dill cured salmon served with mustard sauce. Duh!