Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Ego and aspirations

I've heard that the young adults of today, spoiled and incessantly praised throughout their childhood, display an appalling lack of modesty and a sense of entitlement. Evidently, there are even management training seminars on how to deal with the youngest members of the workforce. Well, not MY kids! I thought. Certainly I can strike a balance, instilling in my children both humility and self-confidence, both an ability to recognize their strengths without arrogance and a knack for identifying and improving areas of weakness. Should be easy enough!

Or . . . not. This morning Cameron said to me, as he drew an impressive square, "I'm going to be an engineer." Before I could respond, he added, "A very talented engineer. I'll be a gooder engineer than daddy." Wow. Perhaps I've been a bit heavy handed with the compliments. I'll have to try to do a gooder job at teaching modesty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cameron, I hope you become the goodest engineer of them all.