Monday, October 1, 2007

Self-fulfilling prophesy?

While making the long drive home yesterday, we were treated to yet another viewing of "Rescue Heroes: The Movie." Now, certainly you will all be familiar with the main characters, such as Billy Blazes and Warren Waters. But as I listened to the always suspenseful story, I began to ponder the parents of some of the lesser known heroes. What kind of parents name their child Al Pine or Bob Sled? And what were the Beaches thinking when poor little Sandy was born? But, fortuitously, all these Rescue Heroes grew up to take on roles befitting of their moniker. You see, Al Pine and Bob Sled are responsible for mountain rescue while Sandy Beaches is a lifeguard. Can we prove cause-and-effect here? No . . . but it is a persuasive argument for the power of a name. Just think how much BETTER I could have been at my job if my name had been something like Sharon Genetic Information. Or Sharon Theresultsofyourultrasound. But there is a darker side to this. Just think of the Walker families of the world and what might happen should they name their son Jay. Or if they are more eclectic namers and their daughter ends up "Street." So, to all the pregnant women out there, I beg of you, give careful consideration when choosing your child's name!

1 comment:

Grandma Linda said...

I met a family once with the last name Wall. They named their son Brick. I am not kidding. I'll bet he is really stubborn.