Saturday, October 27, 2007

Early Dismissal

Matthew wants his mama all the time. He wants me to hold him, to feed him, to cuddle him, to talk to him. This constant mama-needing is exhausting, but I'm trying to cherish every minute because I now know that it doesn't last forever. Cameron used to be the same way. Now, he still needs his mama time, but he is increasingly independent. Just how independent became clear to me this week. Here, imagine that hazy flashback effect.

As we approached Cameron's school, he asked if I would come to his class so he could show me some of his work. Hmmm. I don't really have anything pressing to get done. Why not? I thought. I bundled Matthew into his mai tei carrier, where he happily snuggled against me and promptly fell asleep. Into class we went! I proudly watched Cameron share news ("My mommy and I painted this morning. And my mommy painted a VAMPIRE!"), count the days on the calendar and learn a new work from his teacher. Finally, it was time for Cameron to choose his own work to do. We were disappointed to find that another child had already chosen the pumpkin scrubbing work, which had been high on Cameron's list of work to show me. Instead, we played a matching game and then Cameron demonstrated Playdough color mixing for me. This is great! I thought. Matthew's sound asleep, I may as well stay for the whole class! But just then Cameron piped up. "Well, I think I'll have snack time now. Soooo. See you in car line, Mommy." I suggested that I could join him for snack time and then we could do more work together, but Cameron looked at me with pity. "No, I don't think so," he said. "Bye!" And so, I was dismissed by my formerly mama-adoring boy. So, I cuddle Matthew a little closer and remember to enjoy that gummy smile only for Mommy, even if it is at 3am!

1 comment:

Grandma Linda said...

They do grow up fast! It seems like just yesterday when you and Stephanie came to the hospital to meet Zachary. Sigh....