Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Raising a Boy

Sometimes I think, "What values, morals and skills do I want to teach Cameron?" I mean, raising a boy is serious business! So I look at David and think, "I want Cameron to be like David . . . with a few upgrades!"

Today, when I walked into the kitchen, I was confronted with a familiar scene. On the counter, directly above the dishwasher, sat a dirty coffee mug, a cereal bowl and a spoon. While David is a talented engineer, it seems that he, like so many men, is unfamiliar with the complicated operation of the dishwasher. He apparently believes that the machine cleans anything placed in its proximity and does not gather that the machine actually OPENS and dirty dishes can be placed INSIDE it. I know it is a long shot, but I am hoping that with extensive training, Cameron can defy the odds and grow up to perform the complex process of loading the dishwasher.

In other news, I am hard at work on the Buzz Lightyear costume. Here is what I've done so far.

When Cameron saw this photo, he said with regret, "Oh. I should have stuck my tongue out."

I've still got a lot to do on the costume, especially as David keeps saying things like, "Are you going to make gloves, boots, kneepads and a jet pack with pop-up wings like Buzz has?" Which would be fine. Except he says these things in front of Cameron. Who then, of course, cheers, "Yay! And make a laser beam that pops out of my arm, too!" Good thing I'm starting on this in August!

5 comments:

Zack said...

You should have done what Mom did for us and just make a giant hideous pumpkin costume and say here 'your a pumpkin', 'but mom I don't want to be a pumpkin again this year, I wanna be Buzz Lightyear!', 'either your a pumpkin honey or you won't get any candy, which would you like sweetie?'

Zack said...

By the way, YOUR THE BEST MOM!

Ninette said...

According to my mother, and I can attest to this after living with them the last 3 months, that my father didn't learn how to use the dishwasher until after all three of us kids moved out. He even empties it now!! Sorry,it may be a long while.

The costume looks great!!

Sharon said...

Wow, Ninette, I hadn't even aspired to teaching Cameron to EMPTY the dishwasher! I mean, given David's progress I'm thinking that teaching them to load it must take more than 30 years. Your mother must be one heck of a teacher!

Sharon said...

Awww, thanks Zack!