Sunday, August 26, 2007

Matthew's name

Wow, I can't believe Matthew has been home with us for one week now! In some ways, it all feels very new, yet at other times I feel like I can hardly remember not having him!

I wanted to share the story of Matthew's name, as I think it is really amazing. First, we'll have to go back to the story of Cameron's name! When I was pregnant with Cameron, we chose not to find out if we were expecting a boy or a girl. We loved being surprised, but it also meant we needed to chose both a boy name and a girl name. This presented quite a challenge, as I am a bit of a name-o-phile and David is, well, not. We chose a girl name with relative ease, but just couldn't agree on a boy name and I had a strong feeling I was having a boy. Finally, one day, I said, "How about Cameron?" I remember so clearly my relief when, for the first time, Dave responded to one of my name suggestions with, "I like that!" We didn't tell anyone our name choices. A few weeks before Cameron was born, my mom told me that she had had a vivid dream that I had a boy and his name was Cameron. (And SERIOUSLY, I had NEVER even mentioned the name to her!). Weird, huh?

So, this time David and I again had our usual disagreements about names. The name Matthew did come up, but I thought it was more middle name material. Then, on August 16, my mom called me. She was on her way to dinner, but had a strong feeling that she needed to call right away to tell me that she thought we'd have a boy and his name would be Matthew. Not ten minutes later, the social worker called to ask if we could come in the next day to learn about a potential match -- which turned out to be our new baby boy. As soon as we heard it was a baby boy, I knew his name had to be Matthew!

3 comments:

Ninette said...

That is so cool!!

Ginger said...

I'll bet her E.S.P. also let her know when you or your sister were into trouble, too!...

Gives you goose bumps, doesn't it?

Grandma Linda said...

Thank goodness I followed my instincts to call you. Matthew's name fits him perfectly!