Saturday, February 5, 2011

Dysentery and Doorbells

Weather and viruses collided this week, leaving me with too many days stuck at home with two boys.  Fortunately, we're pretty good at coming up with ways to keep busy.  Over the weekend, David had figured out how to get the old Oregon Trail game set up on our computer.  The boys crowded around the screen, filled with curiosity to see this game that Mom and Dad used to play in computer class.  We decided to be bankers, and stocked up on supplies before setting off for the Wild West.  Several minutes into the game, as the tinny music played and we watched our wagon sink in the middle of the river (I KNEW we should have caulked it!), Matthew said, "When do we start playing the game?"

It grew on him, though, and the boys spent a fun morning announcing which of us had died of cholera, or broken an arm, or gotten lost.  At one point, they called to me, "Mom?  What does, 'Please flip the diskette to side 2' mean?"


 Ahhh, memories.

Cameron, with help from David, also built a light up doorbell for his Lego/study room.  It's pretty cool, but it's main use on the snow days seemed to be for Matthew to buzz insistently from the hallway while Cameron shouted from inside the room, "MATTHEW!  QUIT RINGING THE BELL!"
 Finally, I distracted Matthew with a haircut.  Matthew usually goes to a black barbershop, but he really needs his hair cut every 2-3 weeks and that gets pricey.  So, I picked up some clippers and I think I can manage to keep him looking presentable for a month or two.  I still want him to go to the barbershop -- I think it's important for him to feel comfortable there -- but if he went a little less often it'd be great!
And, of course, we spent time baking and cleaning which are the definition of snow days to me!

Thankfully, the weather and our health has improved and we've been doing more exciting things than haircuts and ancient computer games this weekend!

1 comment:

Grandma Linda said...

Maybe I can find our old pong video game.