Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night

Matthew is a big sports fan.  If I ever doubted that genetics plays a role in our interests and personality (which I didn't), I think Matthew is proof that it does.  He was a sports fan from the start.

Last year, we DVR'ed the Super Bowl and Matthew rewatched it every day for months.  "Do you want to watch Word World?" I 'd ask.  "Or Super Why?"

"NO!" he'd respond.  "Super BOWL."

So this year we threw another Super Bowl party for four.  The boys were excited all day long, Cameron enthusiastically assisting me with the menu (Cheesehead Chili, Fumble Foccacia, Green Bay Guacamole, Sideline Salsa) and Matthew repeatedly asking when we would start watching football.  Finally, the hour arrived.  When the Packers scored their first touchdown, Matthew screamed so loudly I am sure the neighbors heard him.  He jumped up and down on the couch, pumping his fist in the air and shrieking, "TOUCHDOWN!"  When they scored again, he collapsed into hysterical laughter.

Sadly, the Super Bowl is not made for preschoolers and bed time arrived before the half-time show began.  "But the Black-Eyed Peas, Mom!" protested Cameron.  We reassured the boys that the DVR would ensure that they saw the Black-Eyed Peas and the game.  (Sadly, the DVR cut off the end of the game, so when we watched it the next day it ends a couple of minutes too early.  "What happened?" asked Matthew in confusion.  "GREEN BAY WON!" I shouted and he cheered enthusiastically.)

Matthew has since rewatched the Super Bowl several times and the conversations around the viewing are pretty funny.  At one point I heard Cameron say, "Oh no, now Woodson's hurt!  THAT is why I like to WATCH football but I NEVER want to play football."

Also regarding injury, Matthew said, "Did Ben Roff-liss-burger get hurt?  Or is he dead?"

But my favorite was hearing Matthew cheering, "Go Green Bay!  Go Green Bay!  I sure hope Green Bay wins."  Then he whispered conspiratorially, "I know that they do."

Doesn't take the fun out of it.

And the half-time show also met the boys' expectations, with Matthew singing "Tonight's gonna be a gooood night, tonight's gonna be a good, good niiiight!" all day long.  Which, I must confess, is an improvement over, "Let me see your tootsie roll."

1 comment:

Rebeccah said...

I love this! We're right there with you -- Squeaker has been cheering for basketball and football games since before he could talk. In fact, his first word was "ball". The Mister is NOT a sports guy and we only see games at other folks' houses. So guess which kid was jumping up and down screaming "go! Go! GO!" during the Super Bowl party we went to? Yup, my 2 year old. Thank goodness my brother can explain the rules to him.