Sunday, February 27, 2011

Connections

This week was full of connections for me. At the beginning of the week, David and I went to hear a transracial adult adoptee speak about his experience growing up in a white family in Detroit in the 60s and 70s.  It left me full of gratitude for adoptees who are willing to share their perspective and for the many friends we have who are also transracial adoptive families-- I think Matthew has more friends who are transracial adoptees than not.  It also made me think about the ways we need to continue to try to do more and that's a wonderful thing.  Every parent should be challenged to always do more to be the best parent possible for their kids.

Later in the week, I e-mailed with a woman I've never met but who is surviving a pregnancy with intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy.  I had ICP when I was pregnant with Cameron.  It's a rare pregnancy complication that causes extreme itching, especially of the hands and feet, as well as a terrifyingly high risk of fetal death.  Reading the e-mail from this woman took me right back to that time and how scary and exceedingly uncomfortable it was.  I wish I could help this poor woman feel better but I was so glad that I could just be there to say, "I know."  Sometimes, you just need an "I know."

Then today.  Today was a gorgeous, warm, sunny day and I spent most of it inside.  And it was AWESOME.  Cameron and I volunteered packing meals to be sent to children in Haiti.  Not only did it feel incredible to spend the day doing something so worthwhile, but to watch my kid doing it joyfully?  Really incredible.  Cameron rotated jobs with three other kids, scooping dried vegetables and soy powder and filling bags.  The whole time, music played over the speakers.  I was the weigher, in charge of making sure the correct amount of food was in each package.  When Cameron was the bagger, he'd hand me the bag, do a quick dance step in time to the music and then grab another bag!  And every time I caught his eye, he'd smile and say, "This is GREAT, Mom!"

Somehow, all these events are linked together in my mind right now.  All these ways I've connected with people this past week and how important each connection was to me.  Hoping to make the coming week full of connections, too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting. I had ICP with my bio son too. Well... Actually I have it now, as I am pregnant again. It's so rare (and I thank God for that) but you hardly ever meet anyone who's been there. Well... just to let you know I understand too! It gives the word 'delivery' a whole new meaning. :-)