Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Riding the Bus with Matthew

Matthew and I have been spending a lot of time at the children's museum lately, as it is near the day camp Cameron is attending this week.  Matthew has found a few favorite areas there, but the bus is near the top of his list.  It's a kid-size replica of a bus, made of wood with open sides.  The other day, Matthew rushed to grab the driver's seat.  "Get in, Mommy," he beckoned.

I sat down in the first row.  "Where is this bus going?" I asked.

"To a baseball game," replied the driver seriously.  He pumped the gas and the brake pedals simultaneously, causing me some apprehension about his driving skills.  And was that a whiff of lemonade I detected on his breath?  He turned the wheel swiftly in one direction, then the other, as I gripped the sides of my seat.

"Ummm, are we almost there?" I ventured tentatively.

"Yep," answered the driver.  Then he turned, still steering but eyes fully on me rather than the road.  "Don't worry, Mommy," he said.  "I've got a GPS." He turned back to the road and crowed, "Here it is!  Da ball game!" 

Apparently off duty, the driver leapt from his seat and out the door.  He flapped his hand in the air as I shakily exited.  He stared at me, waiting.  "Uhhh, mommy? You forgot to shut your door," he reproached, then flapped his hand in the air again to demonstrate.

I walked home after the game.

1 comment:

Grandma Linda said...

What a great story! Such a wonderful imagination Matthew has. It makes you wish the kids would never grow up.