Sunday, July 4, 2010

The Boys are Back

It's sort of rough to adjust back to everyday life after a no-kid vacation, even if it was only a few days.  All week I felt slightly put out when I woke up and realized that no one was going to serve me quiche on the porch.  Pour my own cereal?  And cereal for the boys??? And instead of lounging by the pool, I was shouting "No running on deck!" to a cackling, unrepentant Matthew during Cameron's swim lessons.

But it was also good to be back with my boys, back in our routine of bike rides and books and bathing suits.

Of course, interspersed with all my actual parenting was a ridiculous amount of Montessori-related reading.  My mind, it turns out, is not effortlessly absorbent.  No, my mind tires of talk of spiritual embryos and refinement of the senses after a few pages.  Nonetheless, it's sinking in.  This I know because at our rockin' transracial adoption playgroup I watched the kids play hide and seek and refrained from lecturing the other parents on how the children are so obviously in the sensitive period for order.  I have got to find some time for some non-Montessori reading or I am going to be no fun to hang out with at all. 

1 comment:

Christine said...

Oh, don't worry, you are VERY fun to hang out with. I'm glad we got to catch up on Saturday!