Tuesday, July 28, 2009

On the Importance of Being a Role Model

I try to be a role model for my kids. I really do. I teach by example, people.

So when Cameron told me he wants to be a scientist when he grows up, I must admit I felt faintly victorious. I guess he paid more attention to those stories of the good ol' days in the neuroscience lab more than I thought! Or those visits to my office in the Perinatal Center really made an impression on him! Whatever it was, he clearly thinks that dear ol' mom's profession is pretty cool!

But I played it off all innocent-like. "Really? A scientist? What kind?" I asked.

"I think chemistry. You know, with all those tubes and stuff?" he expounded.

I deflated slightly. Because, you know, I don't have a degree in chemistry. Hated every minute of Orgo, to be honest. But still . . . science is science, and I can get on board with a calling to chemistry. Plus, I can always hope he ends up in biochem.

"Yep," he continued, "I think I want to mix up chemicals in a lab. Just like Papa Smurf."

Huh?

"Do scientists get to wear any equipment?" Cameron asked.

Gathering my wits, I answered. "Yes, chemists wear safety goggles . . . "

"I know that!" Cameron chirped. "Papa Smurf always wears safety goggles when he's mixing chemicals in his lab. And did you know that his lab is in his HOUSE!?!? He sleeps in his lab! What else do chemists wear?"

"Ummm, well, they usually wear a lab coat."

"Papa Smurf doesn't wear a lab coat! He just wears his pants. A lab coat would be ridiculous! Because smurfs are so small! The lab coat would be WAY too big. It would fill up his whole house!"

I swear, I'm going to stop trying so hard and just order The Smurfs: Season Two on DVD.

2 comments:

Ginger said...

So.... the Smurfs got safety right in showing safety goggles. But they have totally mislead Cameron into thinking it is okay to not wear safety coats or gloves, or to use hoods.....and it is NOT okay to sleep in your lab! :-).

Zack F said...

Ya know, if you want this to happen you'll have to keep pushing. Remember how I wanted to be a detective when I was a kid, but it was basically because I wanted to weat a yellow jacket, hat and a radio watch.