Sunday, July 12, 2009

It's All in the Timing

Matthew has developed a sudden interest in the potty, so I got out the training potty. A few days ago, he wanted to sit on it. He sat. And sat. And sat. After about ten minutes of sitting but nothing else, we decided to try again some other time. "Stay right here," I said to Matthew and I ran to his room to get a clean diaper. Clearly, I was delusional, as any parent knows that saying something like "Stay right here" or "Don't touch that" is interpreted by a toddler as a mandate to do the exact opposite. You would think I would know this by toddler #2, but what can I say? We all have our moments.

I was gone, oh, about thirty seconds. I dashed back into the bathroom to find it empty. (If you are reaaallllyyy good at picking up on foreshadowing, you may have been able to predict this.) "Matthew!" I called, with no response. Then I walked into the living room.

This would be a great point in the post to add the photos I took, but I don't think Matthew would forgive me when he's a teenager.

Matthew was sitting in his Elmo chair, wearing nothing but my enormous sun hat, casually peeing on the floor. He looked up and gave me a big grin. "Hi Mama! I go pee-pee in da Elmo chair!"

3 comments:

Rebeccah said...

Oh my!! Hilarious mental image! Things to look forward to ... : )

Grandma Linda said...

It could have been worse if you get my drift!

Anonymous said...

I can't handle it!