Monday, October 13, 2008

Big Thoughts for a Little Boy


It's interesting to watch Cameron's awareness of our multiracial family evolve. Last year, when a classmate said, "That baby's adopted!" I asked Cameron how he thought his classmate had known that. "I have NO idea!" said Cameron. "Maybe I told her?"

This year, a little boy pointed out that Matthew must be adopted. Again, I asked Cameron how the boy knew that. Cameron looked at me as if I was hopelessly dim and responded, "Uh, Mommy? Because Matthew has brown skin and we have pink skin!"

Today, during lunch, Cameron put down his fork and looked thoughtful for a minute. Then he said, "Mommy? You know what? I think one day Matthew is probably going to notice that he has brown skin and we don't!" Our conversations just keep getting more and more interesting -- good practice for talking with Matthew someday!

1 comment:

Grandma Linda said...

Cameron is so smart! I'm sure next summer he will notice the other multiracial families at the pool and think "we may be an unusual family, but we certainly aren't unique". Of course, to me your family is one of a kind!