Wednesday, July 4, 2007

We're back!

Yes, my adoring fans, it's true . . . I'm back on the blog. I'm sure my many, many devoted readers will breathe a sigh of relief to finally get their fix of my witty anecdotes (Hi Mom and Dad!). Since my last post, I've been busy first packing and organizing, then driving long distances, then enjoying vacation, then driving long distances again. I'm going to post photos and stories from each day, but I'm so exhausted at the moment that we'll just see how far I get tonight. So, here goes:

Day 1: On the road to Baraboo
We woke at 5am and packed the car, finishing with one sleepy Cameron. We were on the road by 6am. Our trip went surprisingly smoothly for a 10 hour car trip with a 3 year old! Cameron was thrilled with a new Spiderman backpack with surprises in it including 2 Spiderman cars.

When we finally arrived to Baraboo, WI, we checked into a cabin at Nordic Pines. Cameron explored -- the cabin was a duplex with 2 bedrooms, a very small kitchen and a bathroom -- and repeatedly said, "I LOVE this house!"
After unpacking the car and getting settled, we went across the street to Devil's Lake State Park. Cameron enjoyed splashing in the water but was subsequently disgusted by his wet, sandy water shoes.Day 2: Wisconsin Dells

At 6:20am, Cameron announced that it was morning. I informed him that it was most definitely not and managed to hold him off until 6:45am. I dragged myself out of bed for a shower, considered wearing flip flops, then noticed that the cabin shower actually appeared to be substantially cleaner than my shower at home. Hmmm, note to self: Clean shower when we get home. When I was done with my shower, I heard Cameron shout, "Mommy, come look!" In my absence, David had helpfully prepared breakfast for Cameron. A Rice Krispie treat and Cheddar Bunnies. Yep, most important meal of the day.

We headed to the Wisconsin Dells where we toured the Lowers Dells on a Duck -- an amphibious military vehicle. It was very cool. This was followed by a round of putt-putt golf at Pirate's Cove. (Do people outside of Michigan say "putt-putt golf?")

Since arriving in the Dells, Cameron had been talking non-stop about the Tommy Bartlett show, for which there are numerous billboards around the town prominently featuring a waterskiing, pirate clown. We purchased tickets for the 4:30 show, then headed to Mirror Lake State Park for the afternoon. Cameron spent most of his time there putting on a Superhero Show. This has been one of our main activities lately. There are basically two models:

1. Mommy is the "talker" (aka announcer) who introduces the Superhero (be it Spiderman, Superman or Batman) and fields questions from the audience.

2. Mommy is the female Superhero, appearing with Cameron/Superhero while Daddy acts as the "talker."

Here is Cameron in a type 1 Superhero Show appearance. He is demonstrating his super jumping skills.

Finally, filled with anticipation, we headed to the Tommy Bartlett show. It was everything Cameron had dreamed of . . . a pirate clown who spoke in a high-pitched voice reminiscent of Mickey mouse, a waterskiing pyramid, a fascinating pirate-themed storyline.

When intermission was announced, David and I looked at each other, dismayed, and mouthed, "There's more?!?!" The second half highlights included comedic juggling, hula hooping and a terrifying front row view of a man nearly falling 65 feet when he tripped while jump roping on a rotating wheel.

After the show, we misjudged Cameron's mood and went to Moosejaw Pizza and Brewing Co. for dinner, where Cameron cried and laid on the floor before eating his "chicken antlers" and lemonade. As Cameron was obviously exhausted, we headed back to the cabin where Cameron got a second wind and spent the evening playing with our "neighbors," Eileen and Aiden.
Well, Day 3 forward is going to have to wait . . . I'm off to bed!

2 comments:

Grandma Linda said...

The cabin is so cute. I can see why Cameron loved it there. I'm so happy that you had fun golfing, hiking, etc. The restaurant problem sounds amusing now. I'm sure it wasn't at the time.

The Dad said...

The water skiing show can only truly be appreciated by someone who has waterskied. They did lots of barefoot skiing and ramp jumping. It was spectacular.