Friday, July 27, 2007

A Great Week

I just picked Cameron up from his last day of cooking camp. Despite the tears on Tuesday morning, the rest of the week was terrific! He baked bread and cookies and made pizza and pudding pops. He loved his teachers, loved his new friends and loved the school. In fact, he is fairly insistent that there is no need for him to go back to daycare, he'll just stay at school, thank you very much! We were very impressed with the camp and can't wait for him to begin attending school there, but unfortunately that won't be until September. So, we'll have to get through one more month of daycare.

Cameron has recently begun paying attention to the radio in the car. I usually listen to NPR and he's started to make frequent comments on the weather. In fact, I just said to Cameron, "Wow, it's really cloudy. I think it is going to rain." He looked at me with pity and said, "Yeah, mommy. Didn't you hear that guy on the radio? He said there would be storms and showers in the afternoon." He'll also respond to the weather predicitions. This morning, the weatherman said, "Currently, it's 76 degrees out." Cameron replied, "Whoa, that's a little bit of hot!"

Cameron also has a budding interest in public health issues. When he first noticed someone smoking he asked me what they were doing. I told him that some people smoke, but it is not healthy. He will now loudly point out smokers and say, "Oh, NO, mommy! Do you see that? Susie's grandma is SMOKING! That's not healthy!" One day he told me, "Some grown-ups smoke. When I'm a grown-up someone might say, 'You can smoke!' but I will say, 'No, I can't. My MOMMY said so.'" As much as I'd like to believe that a teenage Cameron will still value my opinions, I kind of doubt he'll be telling people his mommy said so when he's that age!

3 comments:

Ninette said...

Wow, Cameron's cooking! When we three (me, Lisa, and Michael) were young, my mom put us in "Kids in the Kitchen" classes through Livonia Parks and Rec. We loved it and till this day all three of us feel pretty decent around the kitchen. Michael is the most adventurous with it. He does a lot of Indian cooking that Lisa and I aren't ready for.

Ninette said...

Also, I have some people that I would like Cameron to talk to about smoking!

Sharon said...

Cameron would be happy to talk about the dangers of smoking. Hmmm . . . you don't think these people have already heard the argument "It's bad for you," do you? If so, Cameron can use the "My mommy says" argument which will surely convince even the most nicotine-addicted!