Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Cooking Camp

This week, Cameron is going to Cooking Camp at the school he will be attending in the fall. Cameron has always been slow to warm up to new situations, so I was pretty nervous about his first day. David and I both took the day off and made a big production of what a "special day" it was. We went out for pancakes and Cameron was so excited that he ordered his pancakes and bacon and then told the waitress that he was going to cooking camp to learn to make pizza. (Cameron had also told me that I would no longer need to make dinner, as he would be taking care of it after attending camp!) When we got to the school, Cameron had a huge smile on his face. We introduced him to the teacher and with a smile and a wave he said, "Bye Mommy and Daddy!" We could hardly believe it! David and I spent the next few hours running errands and then returned to pick up Cameron. He proudly presented us with some bread he had baked and spent the rest of the day telling everyone he came across about cooking camp.

This morning, I confidently took Cameron to camp expecting another happy goodbye. After all, if the first drop-off went so well, why in the world wouldn't the second? Fool! When will I learn? I left Cameron sobbing and shouting, "NO, Mommy, don't leave!" It was HORRIBLE! I had a hair appointment for which I arrived ten minutes late with red, puffy eyes and a migraine. Now, of course, when I picked Cameron up he was grinning from ear to ear and couldn't wait to show me the cookie he had baked.

Here's hoping that tomorrow morning goes more smoothly.

2 comments:

Grandma Linda said...

Hmm. I sense a pattern here. Last time Grandpa Frank & I watched Cameron he was VERY unhappy and made sure Mommy knew. She wasn't even to Copper Avenue and the tears were history. Next time he does this, don't worry about it.

Sharon said...

I'm sorry . . . have we met before? I worry about EVERYTHING!