Friday, April 8, 2011

I totally knew what a biome was.

When I picked Cameron up from school on Tuesday, I asked him how his day was.  "IT WAS GREAT!!!" he said.

Cameron rarely says he had a bad day at school, but this was a more enthusiastic response than usual.

"What was so great about it?" I asked.

"Well, I spent all afternoon working with my friend on a diorama!  It's a pop-up diorama of the biomes of Africa.  Oh!  And I need to bring in some cardboard from home, because we want to make it stand up more.  Oh!  And?  Guess what?  I drew a bunch of animals for the diorama and tomorrow we're going to do even more!"

At this point I had to interrupt to ask was a biome was, which led to Cameron giving me that pitying look that makes me feel hopelessly clueless.  "Uh, Mom?  A biome?  You know, like in Africa the biomes are grassland, desert and rainforest?"

"Right.  Of course.  I was just making sure you knew what a biome was," I fibbbed.  "So, is the diorama one of your weekly assignments?"

"No! It was free choice!"

How cool is it, first of all, that Cameron chooses his own work and, second of all, that he chooses to make a diorama of African biomes???

1 comment:

Grandma Linda said...

What are biomes?
Biomes are regions of the world with similar climate (weather, temperature) animals and plants. There are terrestrial biomes (land) and aquatic biomes, both freshwater and marine.

I had to look it up.