Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Guidance counselor

Tonight, when it was time to come in from an evening spent playing basketball, baseball, soccer and lawn jarts, Matthew was NOT happy.  "I want to play outside," he wailed.  And then, for emphasis, he hit me.

That quickly ended any hope he may have had of playing outside a bit longer.  Inside we went, him screaming, "I want to play outside," and me saying, "Hitting doesn't get you what you want."  I suggested to Matthew that perhaps he could use some time alone to calm down and he retreated to the bedroom, still sobbing.  Cameron followed him.

A few minutes later, Matthew walked into the kitchen, took a deep breath and said, "Mommy, I am sorry for my behavior."

"Thank you for saying sorry," I answered.  "I know you were upset because you wanted to play outside, but it hurts me when you hit."

"I just really want to play outside . . . " he ventured.

"I know," I replied, "but it's time for our snack and then bed."

Calmly, Matthew turned and walked a few steps to Cameron.  "Cameron," he whispered, "it's not working." 

Cameron leaned down and whispered in Matthew's ear, then Matthew turned to me and held his arms out for a hug.

1 comment:

Grandma Linda said...

Ah, brothers!! I think Cameron and Matthew are so lucky to have each other to counsel, tease, play with and conspire with. Oh, and occasionally fight with.