Thursday, January 20, 2011

Playground chit chat

Wow.  Been a while since I've posted, huh?  Kinda crazy around here lately.

Anyhoo.  The weather has been, to use a meteorological term, icky lately.  Matthew is a kid who NEEDS activity, so we've been hitting the indoor playgrounds big time.  Matthew is always quick to make new friends, typically with older children.  The other day he paired up with a 5-year-old girl who I'll call Ada.  The place was fairly empty, so even when Matthew and Ada were playing on the floor above me, I could hear their conversations.  Includindg the following exchanges:

Ada:  I'm taller than you.
Matthew:  No, I just grew an inch and I'm big enough for Cameron's kind of car seat.
Ada:  No, you aren't taller than me.  I'm tall enough for a booster seat.  Without a back.
Matthew (impressed, naturally):  Oh!  How did you grow?  How did you grow up to there?
Ada:  Uhhh, I didn't.  I just am this tall.
Matthew:  Oh.

Later, Ada came down a slide and addressed her mom.

Ada:  Mom, is this the slide Annie said was fast?
Matthew:  Yes, it is.
Ada: You don't even know Annie!
Matthew:  Yes, I do.
Ada:  Is she three?
Matthew:  No.
Ada:  Then you don't know Annie!  She IS three. She's my cousin.
Matthew:  Oh, wait.  I do know Annie.  She is three.  And also?  I just bumped my head on the slide.

No comments: