Wednesday, November 18, 2009

You like dis mama?

Matthew has recently developed an interest in art, which is to say an interest in scribbling madly on a sheet of paper with a crayon.  Today, he experimented with a new medium -- markers.  He'd make a scrawl on the paper and say, "You see dat mama?"

To which I'd reply, "Oh yes!  I see that Matthew!  I like the color orange, do you?"

"Yeah," he'd answer.  He'd make another orange scribble and say, "Look mama! You like dat?"

After a while, I got engrossed in Cooking Light and began to answer, "Oh yes!  You're working so hard Matthew!"  Without really looking.  (Note:  This is an advanced writing technique called foreshadowing.  The fact that I mention that I wasn't really looking is mentioned specifically because it is significant.  It causes the reader to stop and think "Hmmm, I wonder what Matthew is doing while she's not looking?"  Read on, dear friends, read on.)

Until he said, "You like dis mama?" and I glanced up to see him standing a few feet away from the table. 

Coloring on the wall. 

I jumped up to discover that, at some point, Matthew had decided to scrap the paper and work on coloring his hands, the table, the chairs and the wall.  And the whole time I was saying, "Oh, very nice Matthew!  You sure enjoy coloring, don't you?  Coloring is fun!"



Thank goodness for washable markers -- I set Matthew up with some wet paper towels while I tackled the walls with a Magic Eraser and we were as good as new. 


And I have learned a valuable lesson:  Don't take your eyes off the two-year-old.  The sad part is, I'm pretty sure I've learned that lesson before.  But I am confident that Matthew will keep on teaching me that lesson over and over and over again until I remember.  Or until he turns three.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sharon - that pic of him cleaning up his mess is classic!

RTC said...

Hilarious!

kimbill16 said...

Oh my gosh, I have been in this exact situation! There's only so many times I can look at Ella's drawings and say, "Oh, what a great snake!" After a while, I think we all kind of phone it in. Thank god for washable markers! (love the pics!)

Sharon said...

I don't know if I should be flattered or dismayed that my stories about Matthew's mischief get more comments than any others. (I know . . . 3 comments! I've hit the big time!)

Unknown said...

haha I think about that all the time with Jayci (my almost 2 yr old) . . . I just want to look at my computer for 5 minutes . . . haha :-)