Friday, November 20, 2009

Why? Who Nose.

We were just eating lunch when Matthew began to cry in pain. "My nose, my nose!" he shrieked.

"What happened?" I asked. "What hurt your nose?"

"THE RAAAIISSSINNN!" he shrieked, pointing to the raisins on his plate.

"WHAT? How did the raisin hurt your nose?" I asked, afraid that I knew the answer.

"Put it IN THERE!" he confirmed, pointing at his right nostril. He huffed, "Can't get it OOOUUTTT!"

I quickly unstrapped him and lay him on the couch. Cameron hurried over and bent down, "I see it! I see it Mommy!"

I grabbed a flashlight and confirmed that a large raisin was lodged about halfway up. "Okay, Matthew," I said, holding his left nostril closed. "BLOW!"

Matthew huffed again, and the raisin inched forward. "Again!" The raisin moved a fraction more. "Again!" And with a huge puff of air, out flew the raisin.  "EWWWW!" we all chorused. 

But what a relief.  When Cameron was 3 years old, he stuck a googly eye up his nose.  This, of course, happened at about 9:30pm.  When we rushed into Urgent Care, our plight elicited laughter from the staff.  "An eye?  In his nose?  Haaaa!"  The mood turned more somber when the physician was unable to locate the eye, and the next day I drove over an hour for an ENT to scope Cameron in search of the eye.  It was never located, and the theory is that it made its way to his stomach.  "An eye?  In his stomach?  HAAA!"

At least Matthew had the sense to choose something digestible.

6 comments:

Rebeccah said...

Oh my word ... I just read the coloring story and this one back to back ... out loud to my mom. We're both in tears we're laughing so hard!

martha said...

Since it's over and Matthew's okay, I feel like I can say this- that was hilarious!! Knock on wood, my boys have never stuck anything up their noses, thankfully.

Midnight Thoughts said...

Whew glad the raisin came out alright! Andy still pokes fun at me because when we were little (but older than Matthew) I stuck a rubber BB up my nose and our parents had a horrible time getting it out!

Sharon said...

Rebeccah -- Thanks! I love to hear that my writing (and Matthew's mischief!) have actually made someone laugh!

Martha -- Wow, I am super impressed that you have two boys and have not yet had anyone stick something up their nose!

Kendall -- Happy to know that my kids are not the only ones who put stuff in their nose. Stephanie and I both did it when we were little. Stephanie stuck a soap crayon up her nose, while I chose to use a bead which need to be removed by an ER doc! Zack decided to break with protocol and swallow a dime rather than put something in his nose.

Dionna said...

I am SO thankful my kids never stuck anything up their noses. :)

Ninette said...

Too cute! My brother had pushed a yellow peanut M&M when he was little up his nose. Then in the ER, he sang along with the music playing on the sound system, "You fill up my senses" by John Denver while the yellow was melting out of his nose.. NO LIE!!! Mom still loves telling the story.