Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Muffins for Matthew

Matthew has multiple food allergies and to say that this has been life-changing is an understatement.  Food is unavoidable and when something unavoidable is also life-threatening for your child, it's tough.  Sometimes I feel like an allergen-detecting robot -- I enter a room and immediately I begin to scan for threats.  Beep, beep, beep, beeeeeeep!  Peanut butter sandwich! 
It's scary and exhausting and on top of that it's frustrating because so many people don't understand food allergies. I can't tell you how many times I've had a conversation that goes like this:

"No, he can't have ice cream.  He's allergic to milk."

"Oh, really?  You mean he can't have ice cream just because he's allergic to milk?  Huh!"

"Well, ice cream is made from milk, so, no he can't have it."

"What about cheese?"

"Ummm, cheese is made from milk.  So he can't have cheese."

"Wow!  But what about butter?  He must be able to have butter, right?"

"No.  Butter is made from milk.  He's allergic to milk.  So he can't eat or drink anything that is made from or contains milk!" 

Substitute any other allergen and repeat conversation.

I read labels obsessively now, and I throw myself bodily between Matthew and any outstretched hand offering food and I cook and bake A LOT.  And today, I was absolutely giddy when the UPS delivery man knocked on my door, bearing my copy of The Food Allergy Mama's Baking Book by Kelly Rudnicki.  Kelly blogs at Food Allergy Mama and I can hardly wait to make Matthew some French Puff Muffins from her new book!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! We just found out that our daughter has a severe milk allergy. It has now been about a week since we got the word that it was more than an intolerance and I am starting to get this. Or my personal favorite but just a little will be ok right. NO she can not have any milk. Thanks for the link I plan to get that book cause I am looking for new milk free food options.

Ninette said...

My godson has nut, milk, lentil and pea allergies. His mom gets this all the time. My own mom (when she has him over) is always trying to offer him ice cream or cookies without reading the label. Thankfully, he is now 6 years old and always asks anyone whether there is anything in it. I am going to pass along the book title to his mom.

Libby said...

Yup. Lather, rinse and repeat. Overprotective? When you stop trying to give my child something his body interprets as rat poison.

Bethany G. said...

What about goat cheese? Because it's different milk, so that's okay, right? :P Gotta love the things people say!

Christine said...

Yay for Matthew! Yay for you! I'm baking vegan (mostly) these days so if you find anything amazing, please let me know.

Sharon said...

Wow! I really wasn't expecting much of a response to this post but it is great to hear from other allergy moms! We made the French Puff muffins this morning and they were delicious!

Sarah said...

Sorry to comment on an old post, but I've just discovered your blog and am enjoying reading about Cameron and Matthew's adventures!

I'm an adult with a severe dairy allergy (I've had it since I was 2, but grew out of it as a teen, it reappeared in early 20s), and it still astounds me what people say! Most people are just horrified that I can't have shop-bought pizza or dairy ice cream and say ridiculous things like "oh I couldn't live without cheese!"

It runs in our family as all but one of my little cousins are allergic to dairy, so we do a lot of recipe swapping when we find new ways to make a favourite dish without dairy!