Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Clarification

When I'm out and about with Matthew, people often struggle to find the words they are looking for. Namely, a polite way to say, "Uh, who are you? Is this kid yours? And . . . how?" Recently, Matthew has taken it upon himself to clarify our relationship for others.

On Monday, I took the kids to a library program about MLK Jr. As we walked in the room, the speaker glanced up at us and actually lost his train of thought for a moment. "Mama," Matthew said pointing at me. "Mama, mama." As new people entered the room, he would announce again, "Mama" sometimes accompanied by an affectionate hug.

Yesterday, Cameron had soccer class. Matthew toddled from parent to parent, gesturing to me and staring at them earnestly as he explained, "Mama."

And today at the pediatrician's office, he made sure that no one was confused about who was bringing him to the appointment (or torturing him with a nebulizer). It was mama.

6 comments:

Christine said...

Sharon, what lovely posts you have had today and yesterday. Matthew is such a cute little character!

Grandma Linda said...

How adorable! Matthew is so verbal and it appears he is also very perceptive.

Ani said...

Hi, I read about your blog in Adoptive Families magazine and stopped by to say hey!

Sharon said...

Thanks Christine!

Ani, I'm so glad you checked out my blog. Hope you enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Hello-
That is a great post. I have a Korean son and often feel like I have to explain who I am. But my insecurities are usually taken away by my son as he clings to my leg and calls me Mommy.

I am an adoptive mom who underwent infertility treatments for over four years. I started a non-profit Parenthood for Me.org. Our mission is to provide financial and emotional support to those starting families through adoption or medical intervention. Please visit my blog. parenthoodforme.blogspot.com. Pass the link on.
I found your blog in Adoptive Families Magazine. congrats.
Sincerely,
Erica Schlaefer

Sharon said...

Thanks Erica! I'll definitely check out your blog -- sounds great!