Friday, January 16, 2009

Can't Take My Eyes Off Him . . . Really

As soon as he was old enough to stand, Matthew started climbing. It turns out that this is not a passing phase. I have no recent photos because the climbing has become too hazardous for me to pause and take a snapshot.

We have a small step stool that Cameron uses to reach the sink. Matthew also found it helpful for reaching the sink and then, one day, it occured to him. "Hey! If I moved this thing, I could reach other stuff too!" Every time he can get his hands on the step stool, he relocates it to someplace interesting. Occasionally it's cute, like yesterday, when he used the step stool to climb up on the couch and sit down next to Cameron. More often, it's terrifying, such as using the step stool to reach the stove. Last night, I thought I had the solution to the climbing: no more step stool. Brilliant, right?

Then today, I sat Cameron at the table with his lunch. I strapped Matthew into his high chair, pushed on the tray full of food and walked into the kitchen to grab my own lunch. Within seconds, Cameron called, "Mommmm-yyyyy! Come see what Matthew's doing!" When I walked in the room, Matthew had somehow wiggled out of the high chair restraints, crawled over his tray and was now sitting, smiling, on top of the table. *gasp*

4 comments:

Grandma Linda said...

Well, at least now I will be able to share some of my Zachary stories. Did I ever tell you about the time he and Andy, age 7 and 8 climbed the tree in the front yard? They decided to climb the branch that draped over the street so that if they fell they would surely be either (1) killed by the impact or (2) hit by a passing car. It's amazing that I didn't kill them myself when I got them out of the tree.

Anonymous said...

hello from florida! great story!

Grandpa said...

Wish me luck, we are going to the track.

Sharon said...

Good luck at the track Grandpa!