Monday, August 25, 2008

This Boring American Life

Not only is my writing group so, so awesome (I know . . . my talent for writing is so, so unbearably obvious when I use really creative expressions like "so, so awesome."), but each week I download Chicago Public Radio's podcast of "This American Life" and listen to it on my drive there and back. The writing group has been between semesters for the past few weeks, and I was craving some Ira Glass. So, while Matthew was napping today and Cameron was occupied with his Legos, I listened to the recent "Breakup" episode of "This American Life." I was really enjoying it, and Acts 1 and 4 actually had me laughing out loud. Cameron got curious and began to pester me. "What Mommy? What? What are you laughing at? What?"

"It's just this radio show I like," I wheezed. "It's really funny!"

"Let me listen too!" he pleaded. So we shared a set of headphones between us. I continued to gasp and wipe my eyes while Cameron's eyes narrowed into suspicious little slits. Finally, he took off his half of the headphones and handed them back to me.

"Sorry Mommy," he said. "But that's not funny."

No comments: