Monday, July 14, 2008

Warning: Moping and Self Pity Follow

I am recovering from a Really Bad Day. It started off well enough and even seemed to be looking up when we received an invitation to a new friend's house. The rapid decline began on the drive to the new friend's house. You see, I am seriously directionally impaired.

After arriving embarassingly late at the friend's house due to my creative "detour," Cameron had a lovely time playing with his friend. They spent a couple of hours splashing in the inflatable pool, complete with waterslide and water cannon. Cameron was so filled with excitement that he was having a bit of difficulty with listening and I reprimanded him for this. Feeling powerless, he vented his frustration with me particularly demonstratively. More specifically, he soaked me with the water cannon. Much wailing and screaming ensued, as I hauled him to the car while apologizing, yet again, to the new (and hopefully not former) friend.

On the drive home, we discussed the fiasco. I attempted to impress upon Cameron that when he is well-behaved, Mommy is nice and he is happy. When he doesn't behave, Mommy gives him a consequence and he is unhappy. Thus, good behavior is in his own best interest. I thought I was really making my point until this conversation took place.

Mommy: How did you feel when you behaved in the car?
Cameron: Good!
Mommy: I was so proud of your good behavior when we were lost, right?
Cameron: Right! I was SO good!
Mommy: You got it! You behaved, and I was proud of you, and you felt happy! How did you feel when you didn't listen?
Cameron: Bad, because you were mean to me and made me get off the slide.
Mommy: Right. So, you didn't behave and you got a consequence, and you felt bad. How did you feel when you squirted me with the water cannon?
Cameron: I felt good!

Shopping List:

Map for car
Parenting for Dummies

2 comments:

Zack said...

Sounds like a job for Frank Florance. He'll take care of this problem real quick.

Grandma Linda said...

A map is a very good idea. You might want to also consider a GPS. It keeps you on track even when taking a detour.

A 4-1/2 year old feeling good when he took control of the situation (Mommy being mean) by expressing his frustration and spraying her with a water cannon sounds pretty normal. I don't think the parenting book will be necessary.