Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Preparation cHoo-choo


Cameron and I used to spend hours playing with his train set. From age 2 years on, he was obsessed with trains and especially Thomas and Friends. My usual job was to "talk a good story" as he acted it out with his trains. Then, suddenly, at age four, Cameron decided that trains were for babies and banished his set to the basement.

Today, for reasons beyond my grasp, he decided that trains are NOT for babies and he wanted to play with his old set. We dragged them up from the basement and constructed an amazing track. But whatever story I told was not up to par. Finally I said, "Cameron, I don't understand why none of my stories are good enough."

"Well," he replied, "there are just some things that I know more about than you, Mommy."

So, I left him to his own devices. I was playing with Matthew when I overheard this story.
James: How are you Duncan?
Duncan: I'm okay. I had surgery.
James: Oh. Why did you have surgery?
Duncan: I just needed some surgery on my bottom.
James: Oh, that's too bad.
Let me make clear that no one in our family has had or has been discussing "bottom surgery." I have no idea where this story line came from. And how old are James and Duncan anyways? I mean, seems like they must be getting up there in train years if they require such intervention. And, wow, I didn't realize that they were such good friends that Duncan would just nonchalantly mention his bottom surgery! Maybe Duncan is just one of those trains who doesn't have appropriate personal boundaries.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny--I hear my kids say crazy things like that sometimes, and I'm like, WHAT? Glad no one else was around!

The picture is great! I missed getting to chat with you in the writing class last night--see you next week!

Anonymous said...

I hope Duncan has good medical insurance

Zack said...

After a quick wkipedia reference, surgery on the bottoms of trains in not all that uncommon. In fact, Thomas himself has gone through several dating as far back as the mid-80's.

Christine said...

I used to work with a James Duncan. Never heard about any bottom surgery, though.