Wednesday, July 6, 2011

All mixed up

Recently, we went to a large farmer's market -- we bought some fresh produce, enjoyed a cup of coffee and frantically searched for the bathroom since Matthew thinks that it is unnecessary to visit one except when you urgently, urgently need to. Thankfully, we located it in time. 

At one point, David and Matthew were walking a few paces ahead of Cameron and me.  Matthew's pants were on backwards, with the ties hanging behind him like a tail.  (What?  Like you've never gone out with your pants on backwards?  His shoes were on the right feet, which is pretty much never the case.)

As Cameron and I walked along, two women next to us pointed.  "Look!" said one. "His PANTS are on backwards!"

And, for a moment, I forgot that these women would probably never have guessed that the white woman walking next to them was the mother of the little black boy with the backwards pants.  For that moment, I don't know why, I just thought that they were talking to me and I answered with a laugh, "I know! He dresses himself in the mornings and he's so proud, I don't point out the backwards pants!"

It was only when I saw the stunned embarassment on their faces that I realized the misunderstanding.  So I smiled and Cameron and I went on to join my boy in his backwards pants!

6 comments:

JB said...

You go, girl!

You should be proud that you didn't correct a minor mistake like that. Plus, you crashed a stereotype with style.

I've enjoyed your blog. We need more moms like you, helping the rest of us realize what's truly important.

adoptmom said...

Hi - I love your blog. It feels so much like my life. Have a look at www.adoptmom.co.za
I have added a link to your blog on my Facebook page too: Adoptmom

Regards,
Terri lailvaux
Cape Town

Sharon said...

Thanks JB and Terri! Glad to hear that you enjoy my blog!

Rebeccah said...

Love this story!

Lisa said...

Hi Sharon,
Saw this article in adoptive families magazine and loved it. Couldn't have said it better!
Wondering if you have a facebook page where I could follow you/blog?

Sharon said...

Thanks Lisa -- so glad you liked the article and the blog! I don't have a huge following, so I don't have a FB page set up but you can click the subscribe button at the bottom of my blog to subscribe!