Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Things that are Totally Awesome

The last few days have brought lots of awesomeness. 

To celebrate the completion of our 5K, I made Bittersweet Chocolate-Cherry Sorbet from Cooking Light magazine and ohhhhhhhhhh was it good!  With Matthew's food allergies, we aren't able to stop at an ice cream store or buy ice cream at the grocery store.  We've been reduced to making our own soy ice cream and it's . . . not delicious.  But this?  This rich chocolate iciness with no milk or egg or peanut? 
A. MAZ. ING.

So long, soy ice cream!  Bring on the sorbets!

In more awesomeness, we made a paper city with templates from Made By Joel

It was so much fun that we designed some of our own.  Then we made our paper people buy bittersweet chocolate-cherry sorbet from the ice cream man and fresh fruit from the corner market.  Then, sadly, the paper people feuded, knocking each other off their stands and plowing crazily into city buses, even toppling whole city blocks.  Then there were some time outs for some people who are not paper people.

Then, to cap off our awesomeness, Cameron and I went to hear Lois Lowry!!!  We just finished reading The Willoughbys and loved it.  Could there be anything more exciting than to hear the author herself talk about how she had her grandson pose so she could draw Jane pretending to be a lamp?!? 



And then, Lois Lowry signed Cameron's copies of The Birthday Ball and Gooney Bird Greene. As our turn approached, Cameron had been quietly rehearsing.  "Hello, my name is Cameron," he whispered to himself.  "I love your book The Willoughbys."  But when he approached Lois, she was still conversing with the man who had been in front of us in line.  I watched, dismayed, as she signed our books without Cameron getting a word in edgewise.  But then!  As she handed him the books, she said, "Here you go Cameron!" and he said, loudly and clearly, "Thank you.  I love your book The Willoughbys!"  It was, for lack of a better word, awesome.

4 comments:

kimbill16 said...

I agree ... as totally awesome as Taco Bell! What a fun week!

Anonymous said...

I love Cooking Light magazine. I don't subscribe any more because.. I don't know. Because I let my subscription lapse and I'm too lazy so I just look everything up on their website. But I just go to their website and type in whatever ingredient I have on hand and there is ALWAYS something good. Love it.

PS. I am SO PROUD of Cameron. Give him a big hug for me!

Sharon said...

As totally awesome as Taco Bell, Kim? Now you're talking crazy. OMG, isn't it soooo funny what a bad driver John is???

Corey, the Cooking Light website is ALSO totally awesome. And probably a healthier resource than, say, Taco Bell.

As for Cameron, hug given!

Ninette said...

Lois Lowry! I am so jealous!