Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

We had a wonderful weekend visiting friends and family in Michigan.  The highlight of the trip was going to the Detroit Tigers game -- the boys spent the week preparing for this big event.  Matthew trained in Rookie Mode while Cameron went for the Advanced option.

As it turned out, the Tigers were able to win without the assistance of my boys, but they were at the ready.

We all donned our Tigers hats and the boys their mitts, just in case a ball came our way.  This was unlikely as we were seated in a suite.  We aren't typically suite-sitting folk, but this was a super special suite:  The Peanut-Free Suite.  If you don't have a child with a severe food allergy, it probably doesn't occur to you that every day events can be hazardous.  Cameron, my non-allergic boy, went to a Tigers game last year and came home reporting that there were peanuts everywhere.  Matthew, my nut-allergic sports nut, would never get to go to a game it seemed.

UNTIL my dad discovered that the Tigers have a Peanut-Free Suite available for a few games per year.  I can't begin to tell you how amazing it was to take the boys to the game, to see them cheer and yell, and feel like Matthew was safe.  The staff at Comerica Park went above and beyond, even having Paws come in the suite to visit with the kids.
Having grown up in Detroit, I've always been a Tigers fan but now I'm REALLY a fan.  I am hoping that this becomes an annual event for our kids.  So a BIG thank you to my parents and to the Detroit Tigers for an amazing day!

3 comments:

Ninette said...

That is so cool! I never knew about the peanut-free suite. My godson hasn't ever been to a game because of the peanuts being everywhere. Glad you had fun and thanks for the info!

Grandma Linda said...

What a great day and a great game!

Thanks Detroit Tigers!

Christine said...

That's so awesome!!