Thursday, March 11, 2010

I'm so over that sensitive period.

As I've mentioned before, Cameron goes to a Montessori school.  I've never sat down and talked to him about the theories behind Montessori.  I've never said, "Cameron, you are in a 'sensitive period' for language."  I've never pointed out that his classroom provides structure as well as freedom to choose the work that interests him.  But yesterday, without knowing it, Cameron himself told me about how Montessori works.

We were working on some craft projects at home and Cameron painted a little picture on the cardboard that was protecting the floor from our craftiness.  "Look!" he said.  "It's a painting of me watering the grass."  Then he reflected, "You know, when I was in the youngest and the middle groups, I was really into painting on the easel.  But I'm kind of over painting now.  I'm just really into language and math at the moment."

No comments: