Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Connected

Matthew has an amazing ability to locate my cell phone no matter where I put it.  He recently came to me, phone to ear, and said, "I talking to Daddy, Mama!"  When I grabbed the phone from him, the history showed that he had called the main phone line at David's work -- I have no idea who he spoke to.

A few days later, I found him with my phone, hiding under the table, Googling "nakdlzuiehn;a."  Which is sort of a problem since I am not supposed to have internet access on my phone.  I await my next bill to find out if I do now.

Yesterday, Matthew disappeared.  I was pretty sure he was hiding in a rocket I made for him from a cardboard box.  So, I played it up, roaming the house and saying, "I wonder where Matthew could be?  Is he in here?  Nope!   Hmmmm.  Maybe he's in here.  Nooooo. Maaattthhheewww!  Where aaaaarrreee you?"  As I approached the rocket, Matthew burst out of the door, laughing and holding my phone.  "Oh no!" I gasped.  "Matthew!  How did you get my phone?  Did you call someone?"

Just then, my phone rang. It was my mom.  She says that Matthew called her at work.  He said "Hello" and in the background she could hear me calling for Matthew. 

"Is your mommy there?" she asked.

"Yes," he replied.

"Can I talk to her?"

At which point Matthew hung up.  He's no fool. 

So, now I'm figuring out how to password protect my phone.  In the mean time, if you know me and you get a call from my cell phone and I'm acting sort of weird -- say, talking about how much I love Tofutti cheese, or calling you 'Daddy,' or just breathing heavily into the receiver -- you'll know what's up.

2 comments:

Grandma Linda said...

Matthew is the most amazing two year old.

He didn't seem a bit surprised when I answered my work phone "Linda speaking". He just chatted away like he had every intention of dialing my number.

Tell him I said "hello".

Christine said...

Alex called my dad once really early on a Sunday morning. And not surprisingly--I think he was two at the time!
Enjoying all your posts--as usual!